Sunday 19 March 2017

Logan


Having been to see Logan last night, I realised that I couldn't help spoiling the film for myself by thinking about the way in which stories like Logan vindicate my enjoyment of critical wound systems in RPGs - one of the reasons for writing Viscera! (now in v1.02 - a few typos corrected and acknowledgments expanded). It's something that I'd thought about on this blog before - The Rise and Fall of a Hero was a post I wrote nearly two years ago now. So, without any real spoilers, here was Logan - still powerful, still dangerous, but hindered by age, disease, and the accumulation of countless wounds. Logan even uses a special serum to temporarily undo the effects of these wounds, something for which I've suggested some rules in Viscera!

So, just as when I watched The Revenant, and imagined it as a LotFP adventure in which the main PC just keeps making his Saving Throws, I managed to enthusiastically undo some of magic of the silver screen by thinking about dice.

Anyway, Logan is a very good film. Indeed, it's shame that it has taken until now for Fox to get the best out of its Marvel licence - as the Legion tv show is proving to be even better. If only someone hadn't coloured the experience for me by describing it as [SPOILER?] a gory 'Little Miss Sunshine', with mutants! [SPOILER ENDS]

Oh, and there is no way that Logan should be a 15 certificate. The violence is very bloody and very frequent.

No comments:

Post a Comment